Victorian optical illusion ‘magic’ ring, hallmarked Chester 1897
1 in stock
I’m a fan of weighty handcrafted English gold rings from about 1900, fashioned in an enormous variety of plaits, knots and buckles.
This lovely example is fully hallmarked for 18-carat gold Chester 1897 – it’s always interesting to know exactly when something was made.
The crisp hallmarks are an indication of the overall condition.
It also holds a visual trick – when slowly rotated the edges appear to widen then narrow.
This optical illusion was well known to Victorians, and rings and bangles like this were sometimes marketed as “magic”.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED; FREE RESIZING IF NEEDED
• Handmade in 18-carat yellow gold
• Approximately 7 1/2 or O 1/2, but easily resized free of charge
• Face of ring is 5.9mm wide
• Weight is 4 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (my antique boxes are not for sale)
• Note: some of the other jewellery is for sale separately (some has sold) – please get in touch if you’d like information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)