Victorian optical illusion ‘magic ring’, hallmarked Birmingham 1898
1 in stock
I was pleased to buy another great 18-carat gold plaited ring, this one hallmarked for Birmingham 1898.
When slowly twisted there is a very strong optical illusion of the bands appearing to widen then narrow then widen again.
This beauty is generous in proportions and size – it’s an R1/2 or 9 – so would suit a larger hand, though it could be sized up or down a few sizes.
I have two bangles in stock exhibiting the same phenomenon … if you’re interested in seeing more of your eyes deceiving you!
They were marketed as “magic” bangles and rings, appealing to a late Victorian desire for novelty and frivolity.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED; FREE RESIZING IF NEEDED
• Handmade in 18-carat yellow gold
• Size approximately 9 or R 1/2, but easily resized free of charge
• Top of ring is 9.1mm wide
• Weight is 6.4 grams
• In very good antique condition: there is slight flattening at the sides due to it being worn beside other rings
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (my antique boxes are not for sale)
• Note: some of the other jewellery is for sale separately (some has sold) – please get in touch if you’d like information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)