Victorian ‘Be mindful’ bloodstone and chalcedony gold spinner seal fob
1 in stock
BE MINDFUL is the motto on this large and wonderful 19th century 18-carat gold triple swivel fob.
I have never before seen a top holding section fashioned into a bold geometric pattern like this. It’s strong and sleek and looks so modern, though it’s not.
Similar restraint is shown on the casing, with deeply engraved straight lines radiating from the turning point in a deceptively simple-looking design.
One face displays a stag’s head with the motto on a fine piece of bloodstone.
I know nothing of heraldry, so I’d love any input about the motto and emblem. I believe it to be an early iteration of the arms of the MacGillivray family of Strathnairn, near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands, which took elements from the Cawdor crest. This fits with the “DMcG” initials.
The second shows a delicate chalcedony neoclassical maiden guarding an urn engraved SOUVENIR.
The third is an unworked bloodstone with similar strong colour and markings to the first.
Everything about this piece is bigger and better than anything similar I’ve owned, including the large wide top ring which will accomodate most modern chains.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in 15-carat yellow gold
• Set with two bloodstone seals, one hand-carved with a stag above the initials DMG, encircled by a buckled belt with the words “BE MINDFUL”
• Chalcedony seal shows a woman with an urn, resting on a plinth that says “SOUVENIR”
• Approximately 4.1cm (just over 1 1/2 inches) tall, 3.8cm (1 1/2 inches) wide
• Weight is 28 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (my antique boxes are not for sale)
• Note: the antique gold chain is for sale separately – please get in touch if you’d like information about it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)