Antique Victorian Whitby jet and gold earrings, from about 1850
1 in stock
- Glossy carved Whitby jet contrasts with matte yellow bloomed gold in this immaculate pair of earrings from the 1850s. Large earrings were back in vogue then, unlike the fashions of the 1840s.
The gold grape leaves reinforce the message of mourning. Grapes and grape leaves have always been rich in symbolism, and in the Christian faith stand for Christ – “I am the vine.” They’re also said to represent rebirth, the triumph of victory over death and the sweet joys of heaven.
These earrings have a crispness to them that’s as sharp as the day they were made. The goldwork is particularly fine and detailed too.
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING
• Handmade in 18-carat gold
• Carved Whitby jet (fossilised wood)
• Approximately 5.7cm long, 1.2cm wide at thickest point
• Weight is 8.1 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Note: the antique box is not included
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)