Antique Victorian turquoise, natural pearl and gold set: pendant/brooch and earrings
1 in stock
I love everything about this set. In fact, it was in my personal collection for many years. Now it’s time for it to go to someone younger.
It’s so rare to find such a splendid example of high Victorian jewellery. Handmade in 15-carat gold, turquoise and natural pearls, it epitomises the mid-Victorian Etruscan Revival period of 1860 to 1875.
Jewellery was large, bold and often colourful. The beautiful tassels are typical of English Archaeological Revival work from this period. The extra drop on the brooch/pendant is a bonus rarely seen. And none of the turquoise stones are discoloured.
The set is hollow, so it’s not heavy to wear. This was the usual way jewellery was constructed at this time.
Until the gold rushes of the mid to late 19th century there was little gold available. Jewellery techniques had evolved to make a little gold seem much more, by working with very thin sheets of the precious metal.
The earring backs have been converted to posts and butterflies from their original hooks. This is an advantage – with three segments these earrings have a lot of movement, so the posts anchor them safely to the ear.
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING WITH FEDEX
• Handmade in 15-carat yellow gold
• Set with well-matched natural Persian cabochons and lustrous natural pearls
• Pendant/brooch is approximately 9cm (3 1/2 inches) long, 4.5cm (1 3/4 inches) wide
• Earrings are 6.5cm (2 3/4 inches) long, 2cm (3/4 inch) wide
• Pendant weighs 23.5 grams
• One earring weighs 8.1 grams, the other 8.4 – proving these were made by hand!
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box
• Note: the antique gold chain is not for sale
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)