SOLD: Mid-Victorian turquoise and garnet snake necklace, circa 1870
Out of stock
Here’s a lovely and typical example of a mid-Victorian snake necklace.
It’s set with vibrant turquoises and glowing cabochon garnets in rich 15-carat gold; a heart dangles from its razor-sharp teeth. The heart has the usual glass back for a locket of hair.
This is not a mourning piece. A snake with its tail in its mouth symbolised the unbroken circle of love. The attached heart emphasises the message.
Snakes were one of the most popular motifs in English Victorian jewellery. Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria a parure of snake jewellery as a betrothal gift. (I’ve only seen simple drawings of this. Does anyone out there have any pictures or know of its whereabouts?)
This example is 15 inches in wearable length. These necklaces are usually quite short – this one is longer than some.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in 15-carat yellow gold
• Snake’s head and the dangling heart are set with seven natural turquoise stones, with two natural rhodolite cabochons for its eyes
• Chain approximately 15 inches (38cm) long
• Weight is 17.9 grams
• In very good antique condition: the glass locket is intact but there is slight bruising to two links of the chain (as shown in photograph)
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (the antique box is not included)
• Note: some of the other jewellery is for sale separately (some has sold) – please get in touch if you’d like information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
I offer free worldwide express shipping, tracked and insured. Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Direct bank transfer (Australian customers only)
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me immediately if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)