Antique mid-Victorian large lava cameo brooch in 14-carat gold, circa 1860
1 in stock
What makes a cameo good? Quality of carving and condition are supreme. Look for flowing lines and unchipped noses. (A flat nose is a chipped nose, polished.)
A great cameo will be a small work of art, like a painting or a sculpture. They often depict a character from antiquity – the clues will usually be in the head adornments.
This mid-Victorian lava example, set in a high-carat enamelled frame, is Bacchus (or one of the followers of his Greek alter ego, Dionysus): grapes, vine leaves and his wild expression give him away.
It would have been a tourist souvenir for wealthy Victorians in Italy on the Grand Tour. The depth of carving is extraordinary.
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING WITH FEDEX
• Handmade in carved lava in a 14-carat yellow gold frame decorated with black enamel
• Approximately 5.5cm (just over 2 inches) long, 4.5cm (just over 1 3/4 inches) wide, 1.9cm (3/4 inch) deep
• Weight is 38.7 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (the antique boxes are not for sale)
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)