Antique mid-Victorian garnet locket, from about 1880
1 in stock
This sweet garnet pendant with its hinged glass locket back is typical of jewellery from the late Victorian period at the end of the 19th century.
There was a move away from the larger bold pieces of the mid-Victorian era, and a return to the smaller, more delicate jewellery of the early years of the 1800s.
Pavé-set Bohemian garnets were still fashionable, though this quintessentially Victorian gemstone would soon fall out of favour as tastes changed to a paler palette in the Edwardian period.
The locket back would have contained a lock of hair or a photo of a loved one. Sentiment is one of the defining tenets of 19th century jewellery.
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING
• Handmade in garnet gold (low-carat gold)
• Set with rose-cut Bohemian garnets
• Approximately 3.7cm (almost 1 1/2 inches long, including original bale
• Weight is 4.2 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (the antique boxes are not included)
• Note: some of the other jewellery – including the antique gold chain – is for sale separately (some has sold). Please get in touch if you’d like information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)