Antique late Victorian gold-cased seal fob with red carnelian intaglio, circa 1880
1 in stock
Here’s quite a large Victorian gold-cased seal set with a vibrant red carnelian intaglio.
The lion rampant above the cross of St George – the intaglio subject – places this firmly as English in manufacture.
The classical urn as the decorative top was a favourite motif. It appears in seals through the late 18th and all of the 19th centuries.
Today the art of engraving hardstones is virtually lost; the cost of reproducing something like this would be prohibitive.
Thus seals with engraved stone bases are one of the few areas of antique jewellery collecting in which reproductions are not an issue.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in gold-cased metal
• Set with a bright red natural carnelian (cornelian) carved with England’s flag of St George and a lion rampant
• Nearly 4cm (1 1/2 inches) tall, 2.5cm (1 inch) wide
• Weight is 21.5 grams
• In very good antique condition: there is minor wear around the base
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (the antique boxes are not for sale)
• Note: the antique chain is not for sale but I have others available – please get in touch if you’d like information about them
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images.
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)