Antique Georgian natural pearl and enamel swivel mourning ring, inscribed 1817
1 in stock
Here’s a fine example of a late Georgian mourning swivel ring with a hair locket.
An inscription on the inside band reads: “Samuel Weston 16 Sept 1817 aet 64.”
Mr Weston would have left money in his will to have rings made to commemorate his memory, much in the way that we might leave something highly personal to a loved one today.
In this case the bequest went to a son or daughter, as we can tell from the enamel face. (Yes, a man may well have worn this 200 years ago.)
This is an early example of the floral motifs of the romantic movement taking over from the severe classicism of the late 18th century.
Like most movements in their early incarnation, the craftsmanship is superb. The band is wonderfully worked with deep, crisp floral motifs in 18-carat gold.
Interestingly, the two “O” letters appear never to have been enamelled.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in 18-carat yellow gold
• Set with 10 lustrous natural pearls
• Size approximately 9 or R 1/2, but it could be resized
• Face of ring is 1.3cm long
• Weight is 8 grams
• In excellent antique condition: there is evidence of previous resizing at the back, a minor graze to the enamel at two o’clock, and slight rubbing to the word “FATHER”
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box
• Note: some of the other jewellery is for sale separately (some has sold). Please get in touch if you’d like information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)