Antique cockfighting novelty fob with two roosters in 18-carat gold, from about 1850
1 in stock
This French fob ornament would have been worn from a fine gold watch chain in about 1850.
Both men and women wore watch chains with a variety of decorative items hanging from them, alongside their pocket watches.
Some of theses items were functional, such as seals and watch keys. Others – like this – were meant to please or amuse for their own sake.
Here, the subject matter of two fighting cocks suggests male ownership.
The ingenious sliding action of the two engraved bars appears to make the roosters reach forwards and backwards, as first one attacks, then the other.
It’s exquisitely decorated on front and back – and the enamel remains in wonderful condition.
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in 18-carat yellow gold with enamel
• Stamped with France’s eagle head, which has been used on gold since 1838
• Approximately 2.9cm (just over 1 inch) wide, 1.9cm (just over 3/4 inch) tall
• Weight is 1.8 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (the antique boxes are not for sale)
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I don't accept returns, exchanges or cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)