Victorian rose gold guard chain, 53 inches, circa 1900
1 in stock
Knots combined with long links are often seen in handcrafted English chains from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, in both long chains for women and shorter, heavier watch chains for men.
This nine-carat rose gold example unusually has two different trombone-type links, one a twist, the other a wide pierced rectangle, evenly combining with the knots to form a pleasing whole.
Near the dog clip is a typical stamped English gold carat mark in an applied rectangle. This is quite crisp, as it should be – reproduction cast carat marks have soft edges on the symbols.
Interesting fact: though guard chains were usually worn by women, there are plenty of Victorian photos showing men wearing them too. Perhaps these were heirlooms passed down from a beloved female relative?
FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING, TRACKED AND INSURED
• Handmade in nine-carat rose gold
• Approximately 53 inches (1.34 metres) long, link is just over 3mm wide
• Weight is 31 grams
• In excellent antique condition
• Will come in a Karen Deakin gift box (my antique boxes are not for sale)
• Note: some of the other antique jewellery is for sale separately (some has sold) – please get in touch if you’d like more information about any of it
Please examine the photographs carefully – they form part of the description.
I’d be very happy to send more information and images. Layaway available.
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase. Hi
I offer free worldwide express shipping, tracked and insured. Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Direct bank transfer (Australian customers only)
Returns & Exchanges
I accept returns within 14 days if you’re not delighted with your purchase.
Please contact me immediately if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
- To communicate with you about your order
- To fulfill your order
- For legal reasons (like paying taxes)